In the middle of the river,
From a kayak upside down,
I am hanging all aquiver
Like a bat about to drown.
It's a lesson taught by Heather
How to do a combat roll
And I only wonder whether
I will leave the river whole.
For the kayaker, his credo
Is a very simple one:
Wear that kayak like a Speedo
When you're on a river run.
It's no problem if he wrecks it.
It's acceptable to drown.
But there must be no wet exit
When that kayak's upside down.
Now my daughter has assured me
If I signal, she will come
And I don't know if she's heard me
So I'm beating like a drum.
Yes, I'm banging on the bottom
Of my kayak as I wait,
Thinking some time late in Autumn,
In some far-off, unknown state,
They will find me, all encrusting
With green algae, but they'll say,
"Sure he's putrid and disgusting
But he stayed attached - Hooray!"
Then I hear the great Grim Reaper
As I'm waiting for my fate,
"Let's go out a little deeper,
Dad. I think you're doing great!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment