To Climb
To climb is not to compete,
To climb is but to be,
To seek no victory,
To know no defeat.
I have never conquered the mountain.
Nor has the mountain conquered me.
Don’t Step on My Rope
There stands the mountain majestic, the ridge line bare
The clouds like a banner unfurled,
And there you go, your lip half curled
Into some sort of half-witted sneer.
You don’t respect the slope,
And the God’s honest truth is, I don’t care.
I’m on my mountain; I’m here
And all’s right with the world…
Just don’t step on my rope.
You can outclimb me any time, or cross my route
Climb through my lead,
If that is what you need.
I won’t like it but I can cope.
I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.
I am serene, a part of all that I have seen…
Just don’t step on my rope.
On my mountain, I am a regular fountain of good will
I live by one watchword—Escendo!
I think, therefore I climb.
I can wish you no ill.
I look up. I look out, Full of life, full of hope.
No nuance, no doubt, no innuendo
Best buds with all humanity, for all time…
Just don’t step on my rope.
One With the Mountain
They say you must be one
With the mountain when you climb.
I don’t know why.
I listen politely ‘til they’re done.
But I’ve seen the mountain and I’ll spend my time
Making sure the mountain and I
Are never one.
Rocks Piled On Rocks
It’s just
Rocks piled on rocks piled on rocks to the sky.
Upthrust
Through some process sublime
Inch by inch through fathomless, mindless eternities of time.
Which is why
It would be a crime
Not to climb.
Seneca Rock
Seneca Rock. We’re here.
Danny gives the pep talk, checks the gear.
Embrace it, face it without fear,
Free of all doubt.
Taking his old man up Old Man’s route.
Look up there. You can see
Where the Gendarme used to be.
Even rocks that people climb
Can lose their grip, and slip
And fall. It happens to us all,
Some time.
Just a thought to bring us cheer,
A little something he thought we ought to hear
As we set out.
Climbing With Danny
There stands the rock
And there we stand
Our little band,
Face to face to sheer rock face,
Sheer terror.
No sunlight at the base.
No space for error.
No place for hanging on.
There stands the rock.
He looks at us again, and then,
Two fingers and a whiff of chalk,
He’s gone.
Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Rope
Don’t need no stinkin’ rope.
‘cause I’m a mountaineer.
No matter that the slope
Is frightening and sheer.
I have my ways to cope.
I don’t give in to fear.
I cling to stubborn hope
So you can take the gear.
Don’t need no stinkin’ rope…
I’m gonna stay right here.
One Last Time
There won’t be many chances. That I know.
The rope is coiled and waiting. We should go.
If this is all there is, it’s not in vain
If this should be the last, I won’t complain.
Just let me share the day and share the view
Just let me walk again this way with you.
Just let me know the mountain one last time,
To see, to reach, to feel, to hold, to climb
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment