Friday, April 15, 2005

Unsolicited Advice for Joanna's Siblings

Alex scales the highest heights
Because he is a teacher,
And David gets his name in lights
For films where he’s the feature.

Stephen’s on his way to fame
For tales of dames who vanish
And Becca’s made herself a name
With those who hablar Spanish.

Now here comes Joanna’s turn,
The last one in the litter.
With graduation, she will earn
Her shot at glitz and glitter.

Look out, siblings, here she comes.
She’s had enough of waiting,
So play the fife and beat the drums—
Joanna’s graduating.

…Alex, David, Becca, Steve—
I hope you’ve been good siblings.
I hope Joanna has no peeve
From little spats and quibblings.

If you’ve teased or pestered Jo,
I fear things won’t be pretty.
She seems so sweet and all, but know
The girl has got no pity.

Jo has got big plans and I’d
Assume she’s not forgetful.
You’d best keep on her better side
Or you may be regretful.

Prudence says you should avoid
All hints of things unpleasant,
So lest you get your sis annoyed,
Best buy some lavish present.

Jo is going places, so
You’d better keep her happy,
And mortgage hearth and home and, oh,
You’d better make it snappy.

No comments: