No one told my heart my little girl is growing old.
My heart has never noticed that she’s much too big to hold.
My heart still hears her talking to her little dolls, beguiled.
My heart still beats for her as when she was an only child.
Out motorcycle riding, with her arm around my waist,
Out playing hide and seek at noon, the chaser and the chased,
Or camping out and looking up and wishing on a star,
Or sliding down a tree house pole, that’s where it thinks we are.
Banana leaf umbrellas in the rainy season rain,
My heart believes that that will happen any time again.
And blame my heart when in my mind I sing her lullabies.
My crazy heart still quivers and the tears come to my eyes.
Exactly half a life ago, we swam a crater lake—
Good thing my heart has never counted candles on the cake.
My heart expects that any day, we’ll take another dip.
Its bags are packed already and it’s ready for the trip.
I’d tell my heart that little girls grow up and move away.
I’d tell my heart that daddies have to let them go some day.
But then, I know my heart too well. It wouldn’t go for it.
It will not ever ease its hold one tiny little bit.
Too fast the years fly by. We’re far too often far apart,
But you would never know it if you listened to my heart…
To celebrate her birthday, we’ll make angels in the snow.
She may be turning 30 but my heart must never know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This is part of a comment made by Dad on MyFamily.com (where he originally posted this poem):
Heather, on the other hand, objects to the first line. So I think I'm going to have to come up with another version that starts off like this: "My heart was just reminded that she isn't all that old. To start a poem off like that was really just too cold. I didn't mean to say that Heather's growing long of tooth, but that she's just now in the fullsome blossoming of youth, etc."
Post a Comment