Sunday, February 29, 2004

The Rock

When we were very small, our family lived on Lawson Road just outside the Oshawa town limits, where one of my most vivid memories is of waiting excitedly for my Dad to come home at lunchtime...

There was a rock by Lawson Road
Where we as children hid.
We'd jump and laugh if Daddy came,
And Daddy always did.

The rock was fifty feet from home
Or maybe not that far,
But Daddy always stopped and we
Rode home inside his car.

I still can close my eyes and feel
The joy I'd feel at noon
Behind the rock by Lawson Road
With Daddy coming soon...

There was a rock by Lawson Road
But, oh the years slip past,
And there are things that come and go
And very few that last.

But I have come to realize
That all through life's long walk,
I've lived my life beside a road
Where Daddy was the rock.

No comments: