Here is a little family reunion poem I wrote a few weeks ago that won't make sense to anyone who isn't familiar with the children's book, Chicka chicka boom boom, about letters of the alphabet climbing a coconut tree. You can tell the kind of literature I have been spending the most time on lately.
Janet told Don and Don told me,
I’ll meet you at the top of the family tree.
Joy told Bill and Joan told Jean
The family tree is the place to be seen.
Here comes Generation X
Alex and Heather and David are next.
There come Danny and Lauralee.
All of them heading up the family tree.
Chicka chicka boom boom.
Will there be enough room?
We’ll find out in late July
We might not fit but we sure will try.
Here come all the Curtis crew:
Toops and Hills, Palinkas too.
Sheffields, Benoits, in pursuit,
Lapointes and Brocks and Benders to boot.
Who’s that now? I can’t believe
The next generation with Genevieve.
Getting crowded as can be.
Everyone’s heading up the family tree.
Chicka chicka boom boom.
Will there be enough room?
Always room for just one more
Under the table on the basement floor.
Janet told Don and Don told me,
I’ll meet you at the top of the family tree.
Dare double dare. You can’t catch me.
Gonna be the first up the family tree.
Almost up, but hey, no fair!
Grandma and Grandpa are already there.
Looking down from the top with glee
As everyone shinnies up the family tree.
Chicka chicka boom boom.
Sure there is enough room.
Lots of room for you and me—
Plenty of branches on the family tree.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment