Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Poem for Joy

My mother-in-law passed away last December.  I asked my Dad if he would write poem for her service.

Joy Engen

I close my eyes and I can see
A distant campfire glow,
And somewhere in my heart I hear
A voice I'll always know

Whisper soft and trembling as
The first faint notes begin,
And now the music swells and grows
With others joining in.

There in that music I can find
A time that flowed with art,
When life was just a songbook sweet
That Joy could sing by heart.

For life is but the hands we hold,
The hugs to show we care,
The simple campfire story told
Of songs, of warmth we share.

                 ...

Dear Joy, the songs you cannot sing,
Your children's children will,
And love's sweet notes will linger on,
A song you're singing still.

No comments: