Tuesday, March 30, 2004

Celebrating for Ted

Each year you have your birthday in some new and distant place.
I hope some time the celebrations can be face to face.
From Panama to Guatemala, I can’t match your pace.
I should be glad, I guess, that you’re not off in outer space.

Yet, though to have you close at hand, I wish it for your sake,
I must admit your distance means I also catch a break.
While you’re in San Francisco, in the land of shake and quake,
I’m celebrating here—and looking forward to the cake.

You’ve had some frugal birthdays, but this year it’s time to shift.
I figure since you’re 23, this is no time for thrift.
I’m planning lots of fun and games. I hope you won’t be miffed
If since you are so far away, I give myself your gift.

You will agree that it just doesn’t make a lot of sense
To send you something in the mail at who knows what expense.
I know you’d rather that I find some cheaper plan, and hence
I’m celebrating for you—that’s what family represents!

Although you can’t be with me, you should think of it this way—
That gift will make me think of you each moment of the day.
So Happy Birthday, Ted. I’m having so much fun—Hurray!
…and now if you’ll excuse me, I am going out to play.

No comments: