Half a century later
A few thoughts on turning fifty, to buoy your spirits up...
Well, congratulations Marcus--
How your ancient aging carcass
Somehow made it to this stage, I do not know.
You are such an inspiration,
Showing signs of respiration
Even as your mental functions start to slow.
You have stumbled and you've blundered
Up the slope to half a hunderd
With remarkable exertion of the will
Now, and here's the part that's nifty,
It's so easy after fifty.
Your whole life from now will only be downhill.
Though the thinking's far from trenchant
You may yet have moments sentient.
Still you really shouldn't try to press your luck.
Melville's far too complicated
I say Disney's underrated.
Why not switch from Moby Dick to Donald Duck?
Now, the way your age is showing,
Hearing, memory--both are going,
I had best explain just why the room's gone dark.
You are fifty (you'll get through it).
Blow the candles--you can do it.
Happy birthday. I said, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Mark".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment